Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Growing Vegetables on Your Apartment Balcony

I'm very excited to announce the arrival of the newest addition to my household... my balcony planter box!


I've made some half-baked attempts at growing herbs in my apartment before, but this time I'm growing as many vegetables as I can squeeze into my planter, so I feel like it's worth the time and money I invest. But I haven't just invested time and money into this; I've made an emotional investment too. I've raised the plants from seed and have developed a bit of an attachment to them. I'm not allowed to keep animals in my apartment, so those little green guys are my substitute pets. So, I must warn you at the outset, I'm probably going to be upset if they don't grow well!

What can you grow in a container on an apartment balcony?
You can grow quite a lot in a small space, as it turns out, using techniques like Square Foot Gardening. The most important factor is how much sunlight your balcony gets. Fruiting plants like tomatoes need at least six to eight hours of sunlight each day for optimal growth. Root and leaf crops don't need as much. You should start by working out how much sun your balcony gets, and then choose crops that like that much sunlight.

What am I growing?
It's autumn here in New Zealand, so I'm growing broccoli and cauliflower. I'm also growing basil, parsley and coriander to season the delicious dishes I'm going to whip up when my crop is ready.

Where did I get my gorgeous planter box?
My planter box is made of macrocarpa, a tree that is often used for windbreak hedges on farms in New Zealand. The wood is naturally resistant to fungus and rot, so you can use it untreated in gardens. It also looks good and smells amazing! A lovely Auckland hobby craftsman made my planter box. If you're in Auckland and want to find out about getting your own macrocarpa planter box, contact me and I'll put you in touch with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment