Monday, November 16, 2009

Meat-free month update: closing thoughts


Image by RAWKU5

Today it's been a month since I pledged not to eat meat for a month on Blog Action Day. To debrief, I've asked myself some probing questions.

How are you feeling after eating (almost) no meat for a month?
Fine! Avoiding meat has started to feel more natural. The feeling that I'm missing out by not eating meat has become less common. I had a weird episode at the gym last week when I went my regular 'Abs, Butts and Thighs' class, and found my strength had mysteriously evaporated. My first thought was, "Have my muscles wasted away because I haven't been eating meat?"But, it turned out I was actually getting a nasty cold, which must have sapped my strength. Overall, I haven't been able to discern any significant change in my physical wellbeing.

In your mid-month update, you revealed you had cheated by eating meat a couple of times. Have you cheated again in the second half of the month?
I confess, I've cheated one more time. Hayden and I were out at a restaurant with friends for dinner and wanted to share a gourmet pizza. The vegetarian options on the menu sounded pitiful in comparison to the ones including meat. When paying restaurant price for a pizza, I didn't want to shortchange us by choosing one that sounded inferior, so we had the lamb one. But I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, because I felt guilty the whole time I was eating it!

Are you glad you you undertook a meat-free month?
Definitely. It's good to know that greatly decreasing my meat intake was easier and less restricting than I thought it would be. Now that I've taken the plunge, it would be difficult to switch back to my old eating habits - it just wouldn't feel right. A lot of people were interested in what I was doing, so I was able to spread information about the impact of eating meat on the environment, and show other omnivores that switching to a predominantly vegetarian diet can be simple and enjoyable.


Where to from here?
I don't plan to celebrate the end of the month with a meat feast. My mindset towards meat must have changed, because the idea of gorging myself on animal flesh is not that appealing (unless it came off a BBQ - there's just something about BBQ meat in the summer). I plan to continue eating similarly to how I have this month: vegetarian being my default option, but eating meat when I really feel like it. I hope that will work out to eating meat about once a week or less. I doubt I'll eat vegetarian sausages again though. Even if you coat them in tomato sauce, they still taste like sawdust!

2 comments:

  1. Good on you for giving a "meat free month" a go! Good blog entries too... Not sure I could go meat free (typical kiwi bloke) but must admit I am more and more aware of the "benefits" of meat free and have definitely opened my eyes to animal treatment, leading up to sitting on your plate. Your outlook seems reasonable - veg by default & meat when you feel like it bbq etc. Cheers Brad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brad. It's cool to hear that awareness about the impact of eating meat on the environment is spreading. I understand that cutting out meat is an unattractive idea to a lot of people (and especially Kiwi blokes, I imagine!) But if a lot of people decide to eat sans meat for just a couple of meals each week, that's a big positive step.

    As I'm writing this, one of the Google ads on the side of my blog is for "Gourmet NZ Lamb Online" - hmmm, guess that's what you get if you use the word meat so many times in a post!

    ReplyDelete