Sunday, October 18, 2009

Day 3 of my meat-free trial


Image by Shune

The first three days of my meat-free trial month have been great. I've been eating delicious food and have had plenty of energy. On Friday night after a few drinks at work, Burgerfuel's vegetarian Beatnik burger hit the spot just as well as one with meat in it would have. On Saturday morning I checked out the La Cigale market in Parnell with some friends. Strangely I was not tempted by the paella or chorizo on offer, but I did indulge in some blue cheese and Piako Gourmet Yoghurt. You see, vegetarian is easy, but vegan would be terrible. Life would definitely not be as good without cheese and yoghurt! 

I'm excited about trying some new recipes next week. I'm not missing meat at all yet, but I'm intrigued to see whether I start getting meat cravings in a few days' time. Do you have any stories, tips or advice about going vege? Please share them with me below. 


5 comments:

  1. Good on you for trying to cut down your footprint Em. You'll have to organise some vegetarian recipes for me to cook over the next month.

    One question I have for you is are you giving up wine for the month too? I'll join you for the food (minus the lentils) but I'm still going to drink wine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I'm not giving up wine - my birthday falls this month after all! I'm hoping to find a nice balance where I significantly decrease my animal product consumption without depriving myself of things I really enjoy like wine, cheese and yoghurt. Thanks for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some wineries that don't use fish products in their process. We should try and find some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found that I never got any physical meat cravings, will be interesting to see if you do. Only recently have I started feeling a bit nostalgic about the fact that I'll never get to taste chicken burritoes again, but you won't have to worry about that :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had some serious meat envy at my work BBQ last night, but only after I'd had a few wines :P We have out of town visitors this weekend, and may be cooked for by other people - could be challenging! I'll post an update on how I dealt with it at the end of the long weekend.

    ReplyDelete