Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Takeaway cup ridicule

Image by Unvrs

The other day I bought myself a shiny new thermo-mug. After a year and a half of "disposable" takeaway coffee cup guilt, I couldn't stand it anymore. I went to my regular cafe and proudly presented my new acquisition to the barista when I made my order. She cracked up laughing. I'm not sure if it was the bucket-like size of the mug, the fact it still had the Warehouse price tag attached, or that no one else who frequents my local cafe would consider bringing their own takeaway mug. I'm on politely friendly terms with the barista, so wasn't at all offended by her reaction. But it did illustrate how ingrained some practices are in our society, even when we know the benefits of another option. Why should it be the norm that every takeaway coffee comes packaged in a non-recyclable cardboard-plastic imitation of a mug? Why isn't there more support for people bringing their own mugs along to cafes to get their takeaway coffee in?

Increased awareness of unfair practices in the international coffee industry led to increased demand for Fairtrade coffee. In response to pressure from consumers, a number of cafes now offer Fairtrade coffee. Couldn't increased awareness of environmental issues lead consumers to demand better environmental practices from our coffee outlets? I think a discount for people who bring their own mugs along would be a great step towards making reusable mugs the new norm.

I dare you to take your own mug to your local cafe tomorrow and ask for a discount. Let me know how it went for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment