Sunday, May 3, 2009

My flash of inspiration

One workday lunchtime I was downtown to run an errand. While I was there, I found myself drawn towards stores by the fashionable, pretty things in them.  My pulse sped up as I thought about what I would wear them with, and where I would wear them to. But before I actually bought anything, I was struck by another feeling: guilt. If I bought these fashionable, pretty things that I didn't really need, I knew I would feel guilty afterwards. I know that I shouldn't buy things I don't really need. I should buy second hand when possible. But sometimes it's hard to live according to my feelings, beliefs and views on sustainable living as a twenty-something city-living "young professional" with a disposable income. When all my friends and colleagues are keeping up with the latest fashions, will I become a pariah if I don't do the same? Aren't I expected to keep up appearances if I expect people to take me seriously in my profession? Won't I miss out on the "good life" if I follow sustainable living practices? Am I the only one who struggles to reconcile my feelings, beliefs and views on sustainable living with the reality of living as an urbanite with a disposable income? Surely not, and that's what inspired me to start this blog.

In an ideal world we would ignore what society or other people expect of us and live in accordance with our beliefs, right? But in reality, this can be hard. We are constantly bombarded with messages that buying new things will make us happy, and that we need new things to get ahead, or even to keep up with the pace of modern society. I don't want to remove myself completely from consumer influences and live on the smell of a (bio-)oily rag. I want to wear nice clothes, I want to have nice things, I want to travel. I want to make the most of what life has to offer, but at the same time minimise my impact on the Earth. And I want to connect with others who live with the same challenge as me of reconciling the "good life" with living sustainability. I hope that together we can work out how to achieve the right balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment